The Innocence Project is a not-for-profit organization that works to exonerate innocent prisoners through post-conviction DNA testing and develop and implement policy changes to prevent wrongful convictions and reform the criminal justice system.
We are seeking a seasoned, sophisticated and accomplished generalist Development professional to join us as Deputy Director of Development. This is a new position being created to help manage a growing and dynamic department and will have significant responsibility for overseeing the annual campaign, including stewardship of major and mid-level donors, working with other senior team members on the end of year appeal, and primary role in managing the annual benefit. In addition, the Deputy Director will provide the Director of Development with support in overall decision making related to the strategic direction of the department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support the Director of Development in management, staffing, goal setting and achieving quarterly and annual financial goals
- Oversee the Managers of Individual Giving and Special Events, ensuring they feel supported with sufficient resources to be successful
- Ensure the smooth operation of the department including work flow, integrity and usefulness of systems and procedures related to the annual campaign.
- Utilize and build on current donor engagement initiatives to establish stronger relationships with donors
- Identify new prospects for the annual campaign
- With the Manager of Special Events and the Events Consultant, oversee the day to day management of the annual benefit
- In collaboration with the Director of Development and Manager of Individual Giving, oversee a moves management program
- Assign administrative support duties related to monthly outreach events and participation in community outreach events
DONOR ENGAGEMENT PROGRAMS:
- Support the Director of Development in managing a process to consistently engage the board in donor outreach and prospect management
- Create engagement programs for various donor groups
- Visit donors and prospective major donors including outside of the New York Metropolitan area
- In collaboration with Director of Development, expand events program to steward and cultivate major donors
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- 7+ years development experience, with a successful track record of managing development professionals
- Proven track record of success in major gifts including donor development, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Bachelor’s degree in a liberal arts field
- Experience managing special events
- Track record of measurable results in revenue growth
- Passion for the mission and values of the Innocence Project
- The motivation and skill to partner with and support the Director of Development
- The professional confidence to be an advocate for the staff to ensure achievement of goals in a timely fashion
- High level of personal and professional confidence and strong interpersonal skills
- Stellar written and verbal communications skills
- Leadership qualities to inspire confidence in the Director of Development, Board members and staff
- Motivation and work ethic to execute an ambitious fundraising agenda
- Strong ability to collaborate and work successfully in a team
- An ability to inspire staff and a commitment to their professional growth
- Superior skills in organization, planning and attention to details
The salary for this position is competitive and the Innocence Project offers an excellent benefits package, including health, dental and vision insurance, Flexible Spending Account, 401k plan with company-match, and paid Transitcheks. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
WORKFORCE DIVERSITY AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY:
The Innocence Project considers the diversity of its workforce to be vital to our organization’s success in meeting its mission. We strongly encourage applicants from all cultures, races, educational backgrounds, life experiences, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, age, gender, and physical abilities to apply.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is our policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, familial status, marital status, predisposing genetic characteristics, actual or perceived domestic violence victim status, unemployment status, caregiver status, or any other category protected by law.
Applications may be submitted to our recruitment partner in this search: Sally-Ann Hard, The SAH Consultancy Inc., 212-369-1501, [email protected]