Search Term(s):
Blog Tags:
Order by: Date Relevancy
Your search returned 2 entries.
NJ Judge to Order Evidence Search
Posted: August 24, 2009 6:09 pm
A New Jersey judge said today that he would order police to conduct a thorough search for evidence connected to the case of Stephen Brooks, an Innocence Project client who has been in prison for more than 20 years for a rape he says he didn’t commit. Brooks is seeking DNA testing that could prove his innocence.
Prosecutors have repeatedly told Brooks that evidence collected from the crime scene has been lost or destroyed, but the Innocence Project argued at a hearing today in Newark that a thorough search has not been conducted or documented. Judge Jerome St. John agreed to order the search, saying his order was a starting point and that he may order additional evidence searches in the case. The Innocence Project said the development is a good first step.
An editorial in today’s Star Ledger called for the evidence search, and for better evidence handling procedures in New Jersey. “New Jersey law allows a prisoner access to DNA testing whenever that evidence becomes available,” the editorial said. “Until it's located in Brooks' case, his guilt or innocence remains a mystery. That's not just sloppy record keeping, that's sloppy justice.”
Read the full editorial here.
More news coverage:
Associated Press: N.J. judge says search for DNA evidence in Newark man's sex assault case should resume
Read more on Brooks’ case.
Tags: Stephen Brooks
NJ Man Continues His Search for Evidence
Posted: January 6, 2010 6:50 pm
Innocence Project client Stephen Brooks was convicted of rape in 1987 and has maintained his innocence ever since. After 22 years in New Jersey prisons, he will soon be eligible for parole and continues to appeal his conviction on the grounds that DNA evidence was never tested and would prove his innocence.
The victim testified at his trial, but physical evidence was never presented, and he was ultimately sentenced to 50 years in prison.
Brooks asked for testing on the DNA evidence samples one year after his conviction. Police said the rape kit and physical evidence had been lost, but Brooks and the Innocence Project continue to search.
A feature story Sunday in the Newark Star-Ledger traced the evidence search:
The State Police, which had returned evidence to East Orange after the trial, kept partial specimens until 1998 before sending those back.The chief assistant prosecutor has said the office may have a receipt showing that the evidence was received by the police department, but it has yet to be found.
That evidence is also gone, East Orange police said. After the court-ordered search of the department's station house and storage areas, Sgt. Frank Michetti wrote he had "not been able to locate any evidence relating to this matter." The evidence, police believe, was destroyed when headquarters flooded in 2004.
Potkin [Brooks’ attorney at the Innocence Project] wants the prosecutor's office to conduct a similar search because "there's no proof" it has done so. A court date to hear that request has not been scheduled.
And although Brooks concedes the unlikelihood that evidence will be produced, he still wants a chance to prove his innocence.
Read the full story here. (Newark Star-Ledger, 01/03/10)
Tags: Stephen Brooks


















