Search Term(s):
Blog Tags:
Order by: Date  Relevancy

Your search returned 4 entries.

Thirteen Years Later, Exonerated in Wisconsin

Posted: June 8, 2009 4:24 pm

On Friday, prosecutors in Milwaukee announced that they were dropping all charges against Chaunte Ott, who was freed from prison in January after serving nearly 13 years for a murder DNA proves he didn’t commit. Friday’s move fully clears Ott, and he is officially the 239th person exonerated by DNA evidence in the United States.

In 1995, Ott was charged with sexually assaulting and murdering a 16-year-old girl in Milwaukee and leaving her body behind an abandoned house. Two men testified at his trial that they had participated in the crime with him, and a medical examiner testified that a knife found in Ott’s house could have caused the stab wounds on the victim’s body. Ott was convicted in 1996 and sentenced to life in prison.

Twelve years later, the Wisconsin Innocence Project obtained access to DNA testing on Ott’s behalf. Semen collected from the victim’s body at her autopsy was tested, and the results excluded Ott and his two alleged accomplices (both of whom had apparently recanted their testimony after Ott’s trial). The DNA results also matched male profiles obtained from the scenes of two similar Milwaukee murders. One of the victims in those cases was found just a few houses from where the victim in Ott’s case was found. Based on these test results, the Court of Appeals of Wisconsin ordered Ott’s conviction vacated in late 2008 and he was freed in January.

His attorneys at the Wisconsin Innocence Project said the 35-year-old Ott was relieved by the news that charges were being dropped and that they hope that this move by prosecutors will make it easier for Ott to find a job.

Read more about Ott’s case here. (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 06/05/09)




Tags: Chaunte Ott

Permalink

 

Suspect Arrested in Milwaukee Killings

Posted: September 8, 2009 5:54 pm

Milwaukee police have arrested a 49-year-old man in connection with nine murders – including the 1995 killing for which Chaunte Ott was wrongfully convicted. Walter Ellis has been charged with two murders so far, but police said his DNA has been found at the crime scenes of at least nine killings.

Ott served nearly 13 years in prison before DNA testing obtained by the Wisconsin Innocence Project proved him innocent this year. He was freed in June.

Read more about Ellis’ arrest and view graphics and history of the “North Side Strangler” case. (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, 09/08/09)

Read background on Ott’s wrongful conviction and exoneration
.




Tags: Chaunte Ott

Permalink

 

Friday Roundup: The Case Develops

Posted: September 11, 2009 5:50 pm

Below is news on cases new and old from the week in wrongful convictions:

The North Carolina Innocence Inquiry Commission found unanimously that evidence suggests Gregory Taylor is in prison for a murder he didn’t commit. A judge will now review his case.

The wrongful execution of Cameron Todd Willingham stayed in the news this week:

New Yorker reporter David Grann discussed the Cameron Todd Willingham case on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

Chicago attorney John Maki wrote about the tunnel vision in Willingham’s case on the Huffington Post.

A Vermont judge granted a new trial to Eric Williams, who was convicted of arson murder but has since said he falsely confessed.

Milwaukee police added five more murder charges for Walter Ellis. Chaunte Ott, who served 13 years for a murder now connected to Ellis, is suing the city.

The New York Society for Ethical Culture is holding a lecture and Innocence Project fundraiser Sunday to discuss the role of DNA in society and criminal justice.

Loyola University Chicago Professor Laura Caldwell wrote on a Chicago Crime Writers’ about the extraordinary case of  Alton Logan – who was featured last year on CBS News’ “60 Minutes."



Tags: Chaunte Ott

Permalink

 

Wisconsin Exoneree is Compensated with Only $25K After Spending Over a Decade Behind Bars, Demonstrating the Need for State Compensation Reforms

Posted: May 24, 2010 11:00 am

Months after Ott was exonerated, investigators matched the same sample along with DNA from eight other murders to Walter Ellis. Ellis was charged with seven of those murders, but has yet to be charged for murdering Payne. Two of the murders were committed after Ott was arrested.

Read the Innocence Project’s report, “Making up for Lost Time: What the Wrongfully Convicted Endure and How to Provide Fair Compensation,” here.

Find out if your state is one of 27 that have a compensation law here

Read Ott’s case profile here

Read the full story here.



Tags: Chaunte Ott

Permalink