Posted: October 20, 2010 6:28 PM
“I’m just real numb right now,” Mr. Newton said in an interview on Tuesday. “It hasn’t really sunk in. It’s so emotional. It’s something I’ve been fighting for the last four years, since I came home. I’m just glad things worked out at the end of the day.”Newton, now 49, was wrongfully convicted of the crimes in 1985 and asked for DNA testing a decade later, only to have his request be denied under the assumption that evidence from his case had been lost.
“I want to work with people that really need that legal assistance that’s just not there for them,” he said. “There are so many issues where people need competent counsel, and it’s just not out there. I think I’ll jump into it with both arms.”Newton was represented by the Law Office of John F. Schutty III who argued that the Police Department’s system for storing and tracking post-conviction evidence showed a reckless disregard for Newton’s constitutional rights
Asked if he planned to celebrate his verdict, Mr. Newton said he was in no rush.
“There’ll be time for celebration, but there are some other things to take care of,” he said. “I’ve had a lot of patience in my life. I’ve learned not to rush anything. Good things take time. This decision took time, but it was worth every moment.”
Join with the 65,000 people who are committed to helping free the innocent.