The Innocence Project is a not-for-profit organization that works to exonerate innocent prisoners through post-conviction DNA testing and develop and implement policy changes to prevent wrongful convictions and otherwise reform the criminal justice system.
The Case Analyst is responsible for the evaluation of all potential innocence claims according to the mission and protocols of the Innocence Project. The Case Analyst reports to the Case Director. The Case Analyst works in close collaboration with the Document Manager and the Case and Intake Assistants.
The duties of this position require approximately 40 hours of work per week to be performed in-office.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Review and analyze correspondence and documents related to criminal cases to determine whether DNA testing could prove the innocence of an individual convicted of a crime.
- Produce a written evaluation for each case including analysis of the facts, history of the case, evidence collected and possibilities for testing to prove innocence.
- Coordinate with staff attorneys, paralegals, and students to ensure effective transition of accepted cases to the Legal Department.
- Manages, continuously, a docket of cases at the middle and final stage of evaluation.
- Collaborate with law firm attorneys assisting in case evaluation.
CASE PROCESSING AND ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES
- Ensure that all communications, correspondence and documents are properly tracked and stored.
- Collaborates with the Document Manager to procure and assemble case files with documents necessary for analysis (transcripts, appeals, laboratory and investigative reports, correspondence).
- Coordinates case review with intake staff at local innocence projects as appropriate.
- Represents the Innocence Project in trainings, seminars, and lectures on case evaluation and the role of biological evidence.
- Trains and supervises volunteers in evaluation protocols and use of the case management system.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor degree required
- At least one year of work experience preferred
- Familiarity with legal procedure preferred
- Computer literacy, preferably experience with complex case management tools and searchable databases
- Knowledge of forensic science a plus
- Exceptional analytical skills (Analytical Skills)
- Strong writing and presentation skills (Writing Skills; Communication Skills)
- Able to balance quality of work with efficiency (Project Management)
- Proven ability to work independently and in a collective environment (Initiative/Self Motivated; Teamwork)
- Superior skills in organization, planning and attention to detail (Quality Focused)
- Ability to maintain total confidentiality regarding cases (Accountability)
- Passion for the Innocence Project’s mission and a commitment to criminal justice reform
The salary for this position is competitive and the Innocence Project offers an excellent benefits package, including health, dental and vision insurance, Flexible Spending Account, 401k plan with company-match, and paid Transitcheks.
Please email a brief cover letter and resume as one attachment to: email@example.com, with “Case Analyst” in the subject line. All .zip file attachments will be deleted without being read. No phone calls, please. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
The Innocence Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workplace diversity.